Traveling abroad includes more planning than merely packing some clothes and booking a flight. Unless you’re feeling adventurous, and there is nothing wrong with that, planning your visit in greater detail could make the trip more enjoyable. There are plenty of ways you can enhance the experience using nothing more than Google.
1. The Hotel – This should be one of the most important aspects of your traveling experience. You need a place to sleep at night. Although booking a room should be high on your priority list, is the hotel in a good neighborhood? Using Google, you can search around the area to see what kind of a layout the area has. Although the pictures of the hotel room are luxurious, the surrounding area could be less than ideal.
2. The Dining Experience – Once you arrive at your hotel, would you know where to go to eat? Searching for dining locations in the surrounding area could reveal restaurants that you may miss if you’re simply exploring. Having an idea of where to go can also help to reduce in “getting lost.” Specific locations are popular for the types of food and knowing the best places to visit can enhance your dining experience. For instance, Chicago is well known for its popular pizza restaurants.
3. Medical Facilities – While a hospital visit isn’t usually added to your traveling plans, knowing where the medical facilities are located may be beneficial in case something does happen. No one plans for an accident or an injury to take place while your on vacation, but knowing where the medical facilities are may save yourself a lot of trouble if they do.
4. Entertainment Venues – Depending on the reasons involving your travel, knowing where possible entertainment venues are may keep you from getting bored. If you feel like watching a movie, playing a round of golf, or bowling a few frames the last thing you want to do is spend your time looking for those places. By looking them up prior to your visit, you will know where you need to go for which diversion you wish to partake in.
5. Weather – Knowing what the weather is going to be like in regards to the location you’re traveling to could greatly impact the clothes you will pack. Although weather changes constantly in some areas of the world, having an idea of what to expect can reduce your surprise when you pack swim trunks and six inches of snow falls the day after you arrive. You could gain further insight of an area by looking up the locations average temperatures and weather patterns during the time of your stay. This can be greatly beneficial if you plan on staying more than three or four days.
Having prior knowledge of the area you’re visiting can provide you with a sense of security. While you don’t need to have an itinerary detailing your every moment while traveling, it is still comforting to know that a burger joint can be just around the corner of your hotel in case you feel the need to eat. Take a few moments and highlight the area you are visiting. It could save you the trouble of not being able to find what you’re looking for.
Ken holds a master’s in business leadership from Upper Iowa University and multiple bachelor degrees from Grand View College. As president of morningsidenannies.com, Ken’s focus is helping Houston-based parents find the right childcare provider for their family. When he isn’t working, he enjoys spending time with his three children and his wife.